Saturday, December 11, 2010

Pablo Honey - Radiohead


WOOHOOO!!!! Radiohead enters in to the music biz. Can you tell I'm excited a little bit? I LOVE Radiohead, they are my favorite band. This is not their best cd, but there are definitely some songs on here to be recommended. The first one I want to mention is "You"


I love that performance so much.... It's just so epic compared to most live performances by other people. I really love how Radiohead really can perform their songs live and make them just as powerful, if not more powerful than the album versions. When Radiohead first started out, and started getting some attention for Pablo Honey, they played over 150 concerts in 1993, and then continued touring for part of next year as well. Needless to say, they got really good at performing, and also started to loath some of their songs.... 

This next song is one that most everyone knows, because it was their first "hit." I love the 20 second "run" at about 2:20. I wish I had the same kind of breath control... it always blows my mind when he does what he does.
The band really hated Creep after performing it so many times. Even though everyone loved the song, they stopped playing it in their concerts for several years because they despised it so much. Eventually they wrote "My Iron Lung" which is about "Creep," and how much they hated it, but also loved it for boosting them in to fame. There have been so many covers of Creep it's almost ridiculous, it's almost as bad as how many people have covered Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen.

This next one is called Lurgee. I couldn't decide which one I liked best off this album after You and Creep, but this one is up there. If I had to recommend a Radiohead cd, I would recommend the later ones, but this cd really isn't that bad. There are some pretty good songs on there. 
Some other songs that are pretty catchy are Stop Whispering, Thinking about You, and I Can't.

It took me a long time to listen to this cd, cause I heard it was Radiohead's worst album, and I was worried about what I would hear. I was actually pretty happy once I finally got the courage to listen to it, because there were some really cool songs on it.

Radiohead is one of those bands that either you really love, or you really don't like all that much, and the only way you can be impartial is if you haven't heard very much I think. I know people on both ends, and I also know a ton of people who have barely heard Radiohead at all. Hopefully I can get some new people into them. I think I know what most people following me think of Radiohead, but I don't know if you've heard the songs on this album other than Creep, or if you ever went back this far in to their career. As always, comment and let me know what you think. Do you like it? If you have heard Radiohead's other music and not this, how do you think it compares?

No comments:

Post a Comment